I don’t know why it’s never occurred to me to make homemade mac and cheese in the microwave, especially since I used to buy packaged Kraft cups all the time to keep in my drawer at work. Recently I was watching one of those Facebook click-bait videos (titled “Foods when you’re feeling lazy” … right up my alley!) and the first demo was a microwave macaroni and cheese. It looked very simple (many of the things in the video were absolutely not simple, they involved WAYYYY more work than someone who’s “feeling lazy” would be interested in), so even though a whole bunch of comments on the post were negative, I decided to give it a try.
Adapted from Tasty
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup water
- “Splash” of milk (see notes)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (see notes)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (see notes)
- Place the macaroni in a microwave-safe mug and add the water and salt and give it a stir.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from microwave and stir in the milk, then add the cheeses and stir together.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
This just didn’t really work. The water apparently boiled over – when I took it out to add the cheese, there was more water on the microwave tray than in the mug – and the noodles didn’t get cooked enough. Maybe it would be better to put it in for longer but at a lower setting?
I forged on, adding the milk and cheese, and the texture was slightly better, but still VERY firm. I “splashed” in some more milk and kept stirring. It was technically edible – and tasted fine – but it was not great.
A big-time food blogger type would probably make this over and over to get it right and then only post when it worked out – but if you remember, I made no promises of perfection. Once a week is the most I can handle (and sometimes not even that).
- Ugh, I hate things like “a splash” – just tell me how much to use!
- The video said ¼ cup of cheese, but it certainly didn’t make it worse by having extra.
Posted on February 11, 2021
*For those completely lost by the erratic numbering – makeup recipes posted Monday-Saturday will be out of order as I frantically attempt to get in all 52 by the deadline. Sunday recipes posted on schedule will be the actual week # it’s supposed to be.